Yes, it would be so much simpler to do the job myself! But I know that this is teaching her something bigger, and I have a feeling I'm learning some things too;
First it's important to finish a job, following through for her and myself. If I ask her to do something and she doesn't so I do........ yep I'm setting her up to not finish, she will learn that I will always cover for her.
Second the value of your word, when you say yes to someone you are making a commitment. That commitment is yes she will do what is at hand. If I am asking her to do something she is not capable of doing she needs to be able to say no and then we can compromise and/ or work out a solution.
Third responsibility, taking care of her personal property. These are her things and she needs to learn to take care of them.
Forth and finally Self confidence, I think she will feel accomplished finishing a job, doing what she says she will do, and talking responsibility for herself.
Brooklyn you are 8 and I don't think I have unrealistic expectations for you. You take care of the things you want to do, and are only showing this attention deficit when its something you don't particularly want to do. Some of the time I think You might go out of your way and do extra work to NOT do whatever it is I have asked you to do. I don't think its a defiance thing, your just testing ME. So I think on my part I need to act with love, consistency, forgiveness and a teaching heart. Yes I will be watching you, I love you and want the very best for you!
No it's probably not going to make a difference in if she gets into college, or who she marries, where she will work, and I don't know what else. Or maybe it will, something to think about?!?!?!

No comments:
Post a Comment